The article describes the main criteria for choosing the first shoe for a child, explains how to correctly measure a children's foot and choose shoes by size.
How to choose the first shoes for a child? Toddler Shoe Size Chart
Parents treat each new achievement of their baby with trepidation and a sense of pride. As soon as the child leaves the exclusively horizontal plane and begins to strive upward, balancing on his fragile legs, the amount of trouble for caring parents increases by at least one: pick up the first shoes.
For many things, for the first time, I want to approach as responsibly as possible. The choice of the first shoes, of course, refers to this number.
IMPORTANT: You should seriously think about the first pair of shoes when the baby begins to maintain balance on his legs without support. On average, a baby is happy with such successes between the ninth month and one-year-old.
How to choose orthopedic baby shoes for babies up to a year?
- The term "orthopedic shoes" is now quite common among not only young mothers, but everywhere, where it comes to shoes. On the subconscious, people prefer models labeled "orthopedic"
- It is not surprising that when choosing the first sandals for your child, the thought immediately comes to mind: they must be orthopedic, as the best, high-quality, and most importantly, with which the baby is not threatened with flat feet
- Orthopedic in the original sense of the word means shoes made specifically for a particular child using plaster casts. Such shoes are made in cases of appointment by an orthopedic surgeon in order to treat a child’s disorders in the musculoskeletal system
- A wide range of shoes presented in stores, pharmacies, specialized shoe stores, as well as positioning themselves as lines of orthopedic shoes of famous brands, in reality, simply cannot be such
- Most likely, we are talking about the conformity of such shoes to the requirements for the prevention of flat feet and higher quality. It follows that when choosing the first shoes, you should pay attention not to the presence of markings "orthopedic", but to the following criteria:
This applies to the sole, as well as to the side walls and top of the shoes. Shoes should not restrict movement. In tight shoes, the load is improperly distributed; in fact, such shoes impede the natural functioning of the necessary muscles of the arch of the foot, and they weaken.
IMPORTANT: When a child steps, bending marks at the base of the toes should be noticeable.
A low heel (about 3 to 8 mm) promotes active work and development of the muscles of the foot. A raised heel prevents the crumbs from falling onto the back.
Needed for proper heel fixation. An insufficiently stiff backdrop may, over time, begin to fly off the leg. It is good if there is a small soft roller on the back to prevent the appearance of corns.
IMPORTANT: To test the back for stiffness, squeeze it with two fingers (thumb and forefinger). It should not be too soft.
The kid only learns to control the movements of his legs, which is often accompanied by falls. You should not provoke them with the slippery sole of the shoes.
Shoes should let air through, foot should not “chatter”. To do this, it is better to prefer products made of genuine leather, dense canvas, avoid "breathless" synthetics. The sole, depending on the type of shoe, can be leather, rubber or other flexible material.
The insole should support the arch of the foot and protect against falling inward.
How to determine the size of a child’s shoes?
Properly sized shoes double your chances of a successful purchase. It is best to try on shoes on their future owner directly in the store. If this is not possible, you should carefully measure the crumb leg at home, observing the following rules:
- The child should stand, not sit. In a standing position due to the load of the entire body mass on the legs, the foot length will be greater
- Measurements are best done in the evening. During the active day, the baby's legs naturally flow and become larger
- It is better to wear baby socks. In order for the shoes not to be small after the child wears socks under them, it is more reasonable to immediately take measurements with them
- It is necessary to measure both legs. One foot may be longer than the other. In this case, the shoe size is determined by the leg, the foot length of which is greater
IMPORTANT: The parameters of the foot in a stationary state and when walking are not the same. The internal dimensions of the shoes should be slightly larger than the size of your child’s foot.
To determine shoe size:
- Place the baby with both legs on thick cardboard. It is desirable that the load between the legs is distributed evenly. If you can’t keep the crumbs in this position, measure the legs one by one
- Carefully circle both feet with a pencil, trying to hold the pencil upright and press it firmly against the leg
- Then cut the resulting cardboard insoles. With such a blank, it is easy to pick up the necessary shoes in the store, putting paper insoles inside the model you like
- Measure the distance between the longest toe and heel using a ruler
5. Add 0.5-1 cm to the result for the stock. Determine your child’s shoe size using the table below.
Toddler Shoe Size Chart
For example, the length of the foot is 9.8 cm plus a margin of 0.5 cm, so you need to choose 17 size.
Shoes Size for Toddlers by Age
The given values of shoe sizes depending on age are rather arbitrary and calculated on the basis of average data. Each child is individual, and values for it can vary.
IMPORTANT: A child under two years old grows out of shoes on average every three months.
Therefore, you should periodically check whether the child’s shoes are squeezed. Signs that it’s time to change shoes:
- the appearance of corns, scuffs or dents on the feet
- walking displacement
- lack of a distance of 1-1.5 cm between the biggest finger and the toe of the boot
How to choose the first winter warm shoes for a child?
In addition to the general requirements for winter shoes, a special condition is imposed: the leg should not freeze in it. For the top of boots, leather, felt, cloth and nubuck are perfect. Particular attention should be paid to the insulation of winter boots:
- sheepskin fur
The warmest option is natural fur. The membrane is perfect for wet winters without severe frosts, as it does not allow moisture to pass through. Tinsuleyt is a modern synthetic insulation that is of high quality, waterproof and can compete with the fur for keeping heat during severe frosts.
IMPORTANT: Unlike summer shoes, for which a margin of 0.5 cm is usually provided, when choosing winter shoes, an increase in stock of up to 1.5 cm for a warm toe is allowed.
If your baby turns 6-8 months old in winter, there’s no point in buying winter boots. Postpone the purchase of shoes in the spring, when the baby begins to take the first steps. To prevent the legs from freezing in the winter, it is better to purchase leather slippers on fur or knitted booties if the child is wearing a warm one-piece jumpsuit.
How to choose soft knitted shoes for the baby?
In order for the child to gradually get used to the sensations of shoes with legs, there is a so-called transitional option - soft booties.
Knitted booties are worn even by newborns to warm their legs. But when the child begins to sit and crawl, especially in the cold season, get booties, if you have not done so already, it is time. When choosing knitted booties, consider the following:
- Slippers should be knitted from natural hypoallergenic threads. Yarn should not irritate the delicate skin of the baby. In stores you can find special threads for knitting children's things
- Booties should not contain small parts (beads, fasteners, buttons, etc.), or they must be securely sewn. Otherwise, the child can easily tear and swallow them.
- Knitted slippers should not be easily removed. A small child is very mobile and will lose booties if they are poorly fixed on the leg
DIY shoes for babies
If you have the basic skills of knitting or cutting and sewing, give your baby the first pair of soft shoes made with his own hand. This will bring pleasure to you and your baby, as the shoes will be individually made to fit the size of the legs, with a unique design, and most importantly, with love for the baby.
Depending on your desire and abilities, you can sew leather slippers, felt slippers or choose a simple pattern for knitting booties.
Pattern of shoes (booties) for the baby with sizes
In order to get a pattern of the size you need, circle the baby’s leg, cut out the paper insole and attach it to the “sole” part on the pattern, change the image scale of the pattern until the insole matches the pattern. Print the pattern, cut out the details. Open the felt product, sew the pieces together and decorate the resulting booties with all your imagination.
How to choose the first shoes for your child: tips and reviews
In order that the first shoes not only lead to tenderness with their appearance, but are comfortable and do not interfere with the proper formation of the children's foot, you should listen to the following tips:
- Give preference to well-known manufacturers of quality children's shoes
- Do not buy your child narrow, tight shoes or shoes for growth. Shoes should fit exactly
- Buy shoes at stores specializing in children's shoes
- Shoes should be flexible, with a stable heel and wide toe
- Quality shoes can't be too cheap
- In the wardrobe of the child it is desirable to have two pairs of shoes for the season
Following these requirements, you can easily choose the right shoes for your child and you will be sure that his first steps will be taken without harm to health.