Many motorists with children are concerned about the issue of installing a child car seat in the front seat. Can this be done and at what age? Let's find out.
Often, drivers, even with wide experience, cannot accurately answer the question about transporting kids in the front seat. In fact, the question is not at all complicated and it is simple to solve. Just look into the traffic rules. They claim that transportation is allowed in any seat. However, depending on age, there are some transport features.
How many years can I carry a child in the front seat?Child in the front seat
The traffic rules do not stipulate at what age it is permitted to ride in front, but if a child is not yet 12 years old, then you cannot ride without a car seat. So even from birth you can ride in front.
Up to seven years, children are required to be transported in a car seat, regardless of whether he is sitting in front or behind. From 7 to 12 years old, a chair is also used, but you need to fasten it with simple belts.
Should I put a car seat in the front seat?
Yes, no doubt, the rules allow the transportation of children in the front seat, but it is worthwhile to turn off the airbag, because when it is activated, the child can get serious injuries.
Despite permission, drivers are of the opinion that behind the driver’s seat is the best place. But experts disagree with this and believe that the central place is the best place. But the front one is classified as the most dangerous, but in traffic rules it is not displayed.
Classification of child car seatsBaby car seat
Thus, the seats differ in appearance. As a rule, division is carried out by weight and age.
- Children up to a year, up to 10 kg. In such a situation, a car seat is installed on the seat, where the child is located horizontally. There are no special restrictions on its installation, but its design will not allow installation in the front.
- Children under 1.5 years, up to 13 kg. For them, a cocoon chair is used. It can be placed on any seat, but relative to the road, it should always be located behind.
- Children from 9 months to 4 years, up to 9-18 kg. For older children, a car seat is already installed. In general, it is recommended to put it with its back to the road, but in practice, parents do the opposite. Although, this is also not considered a violation.
- Children 6-12 years old, up to 22-36 kg. Transportation is carried out in the car seat, and you need to fasten the child with an ordinary seat belt. When a child reaches 12 years old, then he can already ride without a car seat, although you can leave him. If the chair is removed, it means that the airbag must be turned back on.
Installing a child car seat in the front seat: benefitsThe seat is installed correctly
- Good review. In front, the kids like to sit more and have less vagaries, because they see everything that happens around
- Convenience for parents. If the parent has to travel alone with the child, then it will be easier for him to observe and respond to requests
- Extra bed. If the family has three children, then you have to put one armchair in front, because it will not fit back
- Less motion sickness. The front of the children is less rocking and ride more comfortably
How to install a car seat in the front seat: features
Before installing a car seat in a car, you need to consider some features.
- Airbag deactivation. This condition must be met. The airbag deployment speed is 300 km / h. Yes, it’s only for the good of an adult and he can get rid of only bruises, but a child can be injured. By the way, there were even cases of death. So do not neglect this rule.
- Check the view in the side mirror. A car seat should not limit your view. Some models have high backs, so be sure to check the visibility before driving.
- Front seat. This will allow you to safely position the chair and open your vision.
How to disable the airbag?Airbag deactivation
To understand whether the airbag can be deactivated in your car, read the instructions for the car. If this is not provided for in design, then it is impossible to install the chair in front. And here you can’t argue.
There are usually several ways to turn off the pillow:
- Lock with switch. It is used in many cars of modern production. Usually on the passenger side there is a lock where you can insert the key. When the pillow is turned off, a special light will signal this.
- Manual switch. There are not so many cars. As a rule, it is located in the glove compartment or on the dashboard.
- Auto shut off. This option is found quite infrequently and mainly in expensive cars. When installed, the seat sends a signal to the car system and the pillow is automatically locked. A light immediately activates to control the system.
- On-board computer. The pillow is turned off using the menu and there is a special option on the display for this. So far, this system is the rarest and is found in the latest cars.
- Shutdown through car service. If you have an old car, then you can turn off the pillow in a car service, when other options do not allow this. The main drawback is that turning on the pillow yourself will not work, and this suggests that adults in the front seat will be at risk.
The side pillow is not required to be disconnected. She is not at all dangerous for the child and, on the contrary, protects him. Most importantly, do not let the baby lean on the door or window.
What is the safest place in the cabin to install a child car seat?
As we have already said, it does not play a special role where exactly you put the car seat, so you can do it as you like. However, keep in mind that in front the place is considered the most dangerous and you can not even argue with this. At the back, the baby is protected by at least a driver’s seat, but in the center the place is the most convenient and optimal for him, because the view is not closed and the safety is high.